A cricketer before playing a Cover Drive

Be it test cricket or limited-overs cricket, cover drive is one of those shots that have come under scrutiny as of late. Babar Adam or Virat Kohli- all the best players of the game are the best players of the shot. It is one of those movements of the willow which can earn you if you succeed and bring you criticism if you fail to get it through. Reccently, there have been more wickets off cover drives than not. Not that the likes of Lara and Jayawardhane never got out playing to a widish full ball like that but the wickets tally to that shot has gone up. Due to the fast-paced nature of modern day cricket, you have to take it occasionally out of the bag. But, wondering what an average cricketer thinks of the risk of playing cover drives, I present the following as an argument against those who call it a careless choice.

Scene: Border Gavaskar Trophy
Specifications: Kohli about to play a cover drive

"If I play the cover drive, will I get it through? Is it not possible I get an edge or even if I do not edge it behind, if I hand it straight to cover, then what? If I get out to this, will the team be able to sustain the loss of a wicket as big as mine. But, I have to bring it out at some point. If I get it right, I will be able to claim my authority over the opposition for a couple of next overs. I have to break free from shackles. Otherwise, the opposition bowlers will be all over me. What if I leave this ball alone. On the fifth stump line, no harm to the timber behind. But, how would I score runs. Now, I am set enough to be scoring at a faster rate than I have been doing. Maybe, if I play it full blooded, it might even fetch a six. No point debating on this anymore with myself. I will go for it."

Ball 35.5: Josh Hazlewood to Virat Kohli, 4 runs
                 He gets it. Absolutely left Hazlewood puzzled. Cover driven a world class bowler for a four. 
                 Aerial but finds the gap between cover and extra. Wow!
                   

Comments